RAW... how I lost ten pounds!

So, I think that the general vibe I give off is "eccentric". You know, that crazy girl that listens to weird music,does Kundalini yoga, and is on some new health kick every time you talk to her...

Well...ah hem.... I'm at it again. This time, I've gone RAW.
Now, I have been reluctant to blog about my experience (I've been at it since the first of the new year) because I didn't want to share something that didn't work, or worse, label myself a RAW VEGAN and then fall off the wagon. So, my first request is that you not label me either, because, despite all of the great things I'm about to share with you, going raw is not easy, and I'm not going to do it perfectly all the time.

I don't really know how I decided to take this turn. I've heard about raw food for several years and I, even with all of my quirks, thought the whole movement was a bit extremist and bizarre. I think things started when I was researching detox methods online. I wanted to do a deep cleanse during the new year and I started by doing a juice fast for a few days. I then transitioned to green smoothies, which I loaded with spinach, kale, ginger, fresh fruit, and coconut water. When looking for green smoothie recipes, most of the websites I stumbled upon were promoting a raw diet. Not wanting to read through a bunch of technical jargon about nutrients, absorption rates, and digestion, I went to YouTube to see if anyone was talking about raw foods. Well, boy did I hit the mother load! The raw food movement was so well documented on YouTube that it has taken me weeks to sift through all of the stories and learn more. What I ultimately learned:

1. Raw foods help you to lose weight at an astonishingly fast rate! The pounds just melt away!
2. Raw foods not only help to detoxify the body, they can be a powerful tool in curing serious, life threatening, illnesses.
3. Raw foods can also help rejuvenate your body and your youthful beauty. Some women claim it is the key to turning back the clock of aging.

So, basically, that all sounds pretty great to me, so why not give it a shot.
Well, I've been at this diet for over three weeks (plus a short juice fast at the beginning of the month) and I've lost ten pounds. I had a few setbacks (a horrible craving for a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich, and an odd desire for frozen pizza). But despite this,I've been almost 100% raw!

I know this whole thing may seem a bit abnormal, and because I'm so new to raw foods, I am not yet equipped with an arsenal of research to support my choice, but what I can tell you is this: It makes sense. We were created by god, and given fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds to sustain us. Somehow, we have gotten away from this very basic fact, and in doing so, we've created a slew of health issues, weight issues, emotional issues that we then try to fix with man made narcotics. The cycle of abuse is endless, and the truth is, God has created a living, breathing world that is meant to sustain us, keep us in harmony with the earth and each other, and ultimately keep us living with respect and love for all things around us.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going. In the meantime, for more info on the raw food lifestyle, check out a few links:

http://www.youtube.com/user/liferegenerator?feature=watch
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedurianking?feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tonyazavasta?feature=watch
http://www.youtube.com/user/rawreform?feature=watch

Comments

Popular Posts